How High Do You Hang That Canvas Wall Art?
Posted on 10 May 2017
While it may seem like one of the simplest decisions you might make while decorating a room, many people simply do not know the answer to the age-old question: How high do you hang wall art? Does it depend on the furniture? What about the size of the art piece itself? Does it depend on the height of the ceiling?
Balloon Girl Flying Blue by Banksy
Properly hung with the center of the print at 57 inches from the floor.
The truth is, these factors might cause you to tweak the hanging height of your art, but there is a tried and true standard.
According to Apartment Therapy, wall art should be hung at 57 inches on center. If you try this, it may seem to low, but 57 inches is about eye-level for the average person and will create harmony among your art pieces and the furniture in almost any room.
Step By Step Instructions:
1. Measure and lightly mark 57" on the wall
2. Measure artwork and divide by 2 (this gives you the center)
3. Measure top of your picture to the tightened wire (a small amount)
4. Subtract "tight wire" amount from 1/2 height amount for the "to the hook" amount. This will tell you how far above 57" your hook should go
5. Lightly mark wall just above 57" with the "to the hook" amount
You'll find that this rule of thumb will make your room look professionally decorated and you'll be proud of the result.
Give it a try!